VENICE BEACH BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT (VB BID)
JOB TITLE: OPERATIONS AND PROJECT MANAGER
ABOUT VENICE BEACH BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT (VB BID)
The nonprofit Venice Beach BID was formed to help keep our exceptionally diverse district cleaner and safer for everyone who lives, works, or visits. Acceptance of differences has always been part of Venice’s DNA, and it is built into every aspect of our BID’s culture. Our clean and safe teams are trained to deal respectfully with everyone. We hire deliberately, prioritizing local employment. We regularly connect unhoused residents with emergency medical services; when possible, we connect them with social services that may include mental health, addiction recovery, healthcare, housing opportunities or pathways to employment. At any given time, we have several current and/or formerly unhoused Clean Team members working for the VB BID.
A streak of contrariness, eccentricity and disregard for conventions are also part of Venice’s DNA – and our BID offers the same level of respect to people who disagree with us. We strive to be nonpartisan in our advocacy, and focus on positive and actionable changes to improve the safety and cleanliness of our community. We are a small but mighty team committed to making an impact in our community.
The position will report directly to the Executive Director and indirectly to the organization’s Board of Directors.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The roles and responsibilities of this position may include some or all of the following:
External Affairs & Constituent Services
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, stakeholders, city officials, LAPD, officials from other governmental and private organizations, and the general public.
- Collaborate with staff, contractors, and Board of Directors as needed to solve multifaceted community issues with excellent problem-solving skills.
- Provide guidance on more complex district issues and requests that come in through dispatch.
- Attend community meetings as a representative of the BID.
- Develop and coordinate the communication of the BID’s value to property owners; help them to understand what we do, how we do it, and the services we provide in return for their property assessment.
- Create and implement initiatives to enhance public perception of the Venice Beach BID.
Operations, Administration, & Project Management
- Identify, research, and manage key projects throughout the district.
- Collaborate with City officials, stakeholders, and contractors on district projects that require ongoing management, such as street sign replacement.
- Research, price, implement, and maintain potential software systems such as a Contact Relationship Management system (CRM) or other systems.
- Develop and manage workflows for various district and facility projects.
- Manage facilities issues ranging from utilities to repairs. Identify vendors, obtain and compare quotes, set up or adjust accounts as needed. Research products and competitively-priced sources for those products.
- Produce high quality materials including documents for public Board meetings, draft reports, agendas, letters, memos, etc.
- Manage and respond to the organization’s general email account.
- Maintain record of and review of invoices.
- Coordinate quarterly team appreciation events.
- Support in a variety of administrative tasks such as the scheduling and preparation of meetings, taking meeting notes, and returning constituent phone calls and emails as delegated by the Executive Director.
- Suggest improvements for organizational processes and procedures; implement approved changes.
- Research projects as assigned.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred. Those with extensive relevant work experience will be considered in lieu of degree completion.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience that must include at least 2 years of experience with customer service, constituent services or similar activities.
- Highly professional oral and written communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, collaborative and always-evolving work environment.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office products and the ability to produce professional-quality documents. Must have intermediate to advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Ability to perform quality, efficient research via both the internet and direct outreach to outside experts.
- Skilled in researching product reviews, price comparisons and online purchasing.
- Ability to commute to Venice Beach every day for work.
- Willing to work some weekends and holidays, especially during the peak season (summer, Spring Break, and warm weather winter holidays)
- Enjoy working both independently and within a small team.
- A passion for community and/or economic development and quality of life issues.
- Experience with local government (City and/or County of Los Angeles), homelessness, real estate/property management and/or tourist destinations. BID experience is a huge plus.
- Knowledge of the community of Venice and its issues.
- Familiarity with Robert’s Rules of Order, the Brown Act and the California Public Records Act.
- Experience with G Suite.
- A personal vehicle is strongly recommended but not required. (Most work-related off-site meetings will occur within the Venice local area.)
Working Conditions: Small open office environment connected to service station for Clean and Safe Team crews. Frequent exposure to offsite/outdoor duties.
Salary commensurate with experience and a benefits package including health insurance, holidays, vacation and PTO. This is an exempt position.
To apply please send a copy of your resume and a cover letter describing your qualifications for the position to email@example.com. Selected applicants will be asked to provide a writing sample and references.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.